The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has released the calendar year (CY) 2021 Proposed Rule for services paid under the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS). This would include outpatient physical, occupational and speech therapy services provided in all settings (private practice (both therapist-owned and physician-owned, skilled nursing facilities doing Part B, comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation facilities, rehabilitation agencies, home health agencies providing Part B therapy services in the home and hospital outpatient therapy departments). This proposed rule would not apply to outpatient therapy services provided by critical access hospitals (CAHs) since CAHs are not reimbursed under the MPFS.
Highlights of the proposed rule as they pertain to outpatient therapy services include:
- CY 2021 Conversion Factor (used to determine payment of CPT codes)
- Brief online assessment and management services
- Remote evaluation of patient-submitted video or images and virtual check-ins
- Telephone assessment and management services
- Remote physiologic monitoring services
- Direct supervision by interactive telecommunications technology
- Revaluation of therapy evaluations and reevaluations for PT and OT
- Revaluation of speech therapy evaluation CPT codes
- Therapy assistants furnishing maintenance therapy
- Therapy student documentation in the medical record
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy 2021 payment cuts
CY 2021 Conversion Factor
Brief Online Assessment and Management Services
Remote Evaluation of Patient-submitted Video or Images and Virtual Check-ins
Telephone Assessment and Management Services
Remote Physiologic Monitoring Services
Direct Supervision by Interactive Telecommunications Technology
Revaluation of Therapy Evaluations and Reevaluation CPT Codes for PT and OT
Revaluation of Speech Therapy Evaluation CPT Codes
Therapy Assistants Furnishing Maintenance Therapy
Adding Therapy to the Medicare Telehealth Services List
Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy 2021 Payment Cuts
Access Proposed Rule
I hope you found this article informative. Watch for a separate article on the proposed 2021 Merit-Based Incentive Program (MIPS). Thank you for being a Gold Member!
All material posted on our website is the intellectual property of Gawenda Seminars & Consulting, Inc. and can’t be used, reproduced, or posted as your own material without the prior written approval of Gawenda Seminars & Consulting, Inc.
This article is not intended to and does not serve as legal advice or as consultative services, but is for general information purposes only.