2018 MIPS Performance Data Released

January 24, 2020
Rick Gawenda

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has released the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System data for Performance Period 2018.

The final 2018 performance feedback data revealed:

  • 98% of eligible clinicians participated in MIPS in 2018— up from 95% in 2017
  • 98% of eligible clinicians exceeded the performance threshold score of 15 points to receive a positive payment adjustment— up from 93% in 2017
  • 356,353 clinicians participated in MIPS through APMs— up from 341,220 in 2017

Click HERE to read more about the 2018 MIPS Performance Period data.

All material posted on our website is the intellectual property of Gawenda Seminars & Consulting, Inc. and can’t be used, reproduced, or posted as your own material without the prior written approval of Gawenda Seminars & Consulting, Inc.

This article is not intended to and does not serve as legal advice or as consultative services, but is for general information purposes only.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  1. Thanks for the update Rick.
    I am wondering, since MIPS is budget neutural, how will the 2% of providers that received a negative payment adjustment be able to pay back the system for the 98% of providers that received “postive” and “exceptional” payment adjustment OR is the 2% that systems retains from them just spread across the other 98% of providers? If so, that is not much of an incentive to participate if you ask me.
    Also, given PT/OT/SLP participate, someone recently told me that they heard from their EMR vendor that only about 15% of outpatient practices were planning to participate in 2020 MIPS data collection. Do you have any industry insight around this? Any ideas what outpatient therapy participation was in 2019?
    Thanks again.

    1. CMS won’t release 2019 participation data until mid year 2020. Since only a small percentage are paying in, that is why the positive pay adjustments are so low and you have score really high to get a decent percentage increase.