Credit Card Payment: add the above to the cart PAYMENT BY CHECK:
To pay by check, please fill out the REGISTRATION FORM BY CHECK and submit with your payment to the address on the form. If you have any questions, please contact Michelle at 661.350.6187.
In college, therapists and assistants get very little education and training in the business and compliance aspect of outpatient physical, occupational and/or speech therapy services. If they do, it is usually limited to the basics of CPT coding, documentation and perhaps, some billing. In addition, many office managers and billing staff do not receive the proper education and training regarding when a Medicare beneficiary can be held financially liable for payment for outpatient therapy services. This webinar will focus solely on the advance beneficiary notice of noncoverage (ABN) form and will answer the following questions regarding the ABN:
- In what formats can I issue an ABN?
- Can I use the ABN form for my Medicare Advantage patients?
- Can I issue an ABN if I am not enrolled in the Medicare program?
- When can I issue an ABN to a Medicare beneficiary?
- When is an ABN not required to be issued to a Medicare beneficiary?
- How does the annual therapy threshold and targeted medical review impact me issuing an ABN?
- How do I complete the ABN completely and correctly?
- If Medicare ends up paying me for the services I thought they would deny, how soon must I refund the patient?
- When would I issue a voluntary ABN to a Medicare beneficiary?
- What is the difference between Option #1 and Option #2 in Section G of the ABN form?
- How does the Qualified Medicare Beneficiary Program that some Medicare beneficiaries are enrolled in effect the completion of the ABN and my ability to collect payment from the Medicare beneficiary?
At the conclusion of this webinar presentation, participants will be able to:
- List the formats in which an ABN may be delivered to a Medicare beneficiary
- Demonstrate how to correctly complete an ABN and issue it to a Medicare beneficiary
- Calculate the estimated cost to the Medicare beneficiary that you expect Medicare to deny
- Identify when it is and is not appropriate to issue an ABN to a Medicare beneficiary
- Describe the difference between the 3 Options in Section G of the ABN form
- Differentiate the differences in the completion of a mandatory ABN versus a voluntary ABN
- Explain how the annual therapy threshold and targeted medical review impact your decision on issuing an ABN
- Recognize when you can and can’t collect payment from a Medicare beneficiary when an ABN has been issued
- Recall the timeframe in which you must refund payment to a Medicare beneficiary if Medicare ends up paying for the service(s) you thought they were going to deny
- Discuss how a Medicare beneficiary who is enrolled in the Qualified Medicare Beneficiary Program (QMB) may not be financially responsible even if an ABN was issued
ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
Rick Gawenda, P.T., graduated in 1991 with a Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy from Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan. Mr. Gawenda is currently the President and founder of Gawenda Seminars & Consulting, Inc. He has provided valuable education and consulting to hospitals, rehabilitation agencies, private practices, nursing homes, and his peers in the areas of CPT and ICD-10 coding, billing, documentation, reimbursement, and compliance as it pertains to outpatient therapy services as well as denial management and the appeals process for Medicare denied claims. Mr. Gawenda’s website, www.gawendaseminars.com, provides a valuable source of information on rehabilitation rules and regulations, coding, documentation, and reimbursement.
Mr. Gawenda is a member of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) and Michigan Physical Therapy Association (MPTA). Mr. Gawenda is the Past President of the Section on Health Policy & Administration of the APTA as well as Past President of the Michigan Association of Medical Rehabilitation Program Administrators.
Mr. Gawenda is also the author of “The How-To Manual for Rehab Documentation: A Complete Guide to Increasing Reimbursement and Reducing Denials” and “Coding and Billing For Outpatient Rehab Made Easy: Proper Use of CPT Codes, ICD-9 Codes and Modifiers”.
WHO SHOULD LISTEN:
Physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants, speech-language pathologists, private practice owners and practice administrators, billing companies, office managers at private practices, as well as compliance officers, risk managers, directors, managers, supervisors, and billers in skilled nursing facilities, hospital outpatient therapy departments, rehabilitation agencies, home health agencies, and comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation facilities.
INCLUDED IN YOUR MATERIALS PACKET:
In addition to the expertise and advice presented during this webinar conference, you’ll also receive a handout (in PDF format) that will include related reference links.
Webinar – Computer and internet connection required. Participants will be provided a url link where they can log in and follow the presentation on their computer as the speaker provides the presentation. If your computer has speakers, you will be able to hear the audio portion through your computer speakers and will not require a phone connection.
A certificate of attendance will be available upon purchase of the webinar and may be adequate for credit in some states; you will need to contact your state licensing regulatory body to determine whether or not credit will be granted for this webinar conference listened to via a playback link of the live presentation that occurred on October 21, 2021.
LENGTH OF TIME FOR PLAYBACK or AUDIO FILES:
Time: Approximately 1 hour and 23 minutes (including Q&A time recorded)
There are no refunds once your order has been processed since the handouts/links will be emailed to you immediately after your order has been completed.
System Requirements Required To View Webinar Playback Link On Computer: Venue system requirements:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7+, Mozilla Firefox 2.5+, Safari, or Chrome
- 1024 x 768 screen resolution
- Stable Internet connection, DSL or above
- Wired Internet connection; wireless is not recommended
- Flash Player 9 or higher
- Disabled pop-up blockers
- Computer speakers for participants
Note: Android Smart Phones (i.e. IPhone) are not compatible.
In order to ensure successful connection to the playback webinar link, please take a moment to conduct a system test by clicking this link: http://web.telspan.com/systemcheck ***Application Sharing does not need to be operational in order to view this webinar playback link.
*** This WEBINAR PLAYBACK LINK and HANDOUTS is not to be distributed outside of your organization or used without permission in any form (ie.publish, articles). If you have a larger organization and have multiple locations, then please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for pricing.
If you have questions about registration or logistics for this webinar conference, please contact the Webinar Conference Manager:
Michelle Gawenda at 661.350.6187 or contact Rick or Michelle via email by filling out our contact form.