On July 31, 2020, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released the Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) Fiscal Year (FY) 2021 final rule titled “Medicare Program; Prospective Payment System and Consolidated Billing for Skilled Nursing Facilities; Updates to the Value-Based Purchasing Program for Federal Fiscal Year 2021“.
Highlights of the final rule include the following:
- CMS projects that aggregate Medicare program payments to SNFs will increase by $750 million, or 2.2 percent, for FY 2021 compared to FY 2020.
- Changes to the ICD-10 code mappings, effective October 1, 2020 to classify SNF patients into payment groups.
- CMS is finalizing updates to the SNF Value-Based Purchasing (VBP) Program regulation text at 42 CFR § 413.338 so that it reflects previously finalized policies.
- Updating the 30-day Phase One Review and Correction deadline for the baseline period quality measure quarterly report.
- CMS is also announcing performance periods and performance standards for the FY 2023 program year.